Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Chatty, Little Update

My time on the computer is limited so I've been saving all "my deep thought" posts for when I finally have my beloved laptop, and DSL connection back. But I do have a bit of time to just update on us. I don't want anyone to think we've dropped off the face of the Earth.


Right now we are living with my mom. I had hoped that we would be moving out this weekend but due to my screwy brain, I thought classes started for me next week when they don't in fact start until the 25th. Likely we will be here until the end of the month which means a crazy week of driving much too far for everything. Have I mentioned how much I detest commuting? And of course there is just the exhaustion of living with other people. We haven't had a home of our own since the beginning of June, and the wear is starting to show. But I'm thankful that we have family to care of us when we need them to and of course I love Mexico. But now I just want my own home. We're looking at houses! With backyards! And three bedrooms!

On the school front...Umberto and Camille were accepted into the Community Charter School. I signed them up today. The assistant principal is from England and has a lovely accent. And she's nice and comfortable to be around. She assured me they have lots of ex homeschoolers in the school meaning they are quite used to working with that population. The classes are open. Students set their own paces, and move around the room using various centers. They classes are also multi graded so Umberto will be a first/second. I'm very excited and of course nervous about how Umberto will do. He is thrilled as his best friend K goes to the same school. And he's also looking forward to meeting new friends. Camille can't wait as well, and burst into tears today when we didn't stay for "school." I think we'll like the parents there as they seem pretty funky and alternative like us and of course we're good friends with K's parents!

I have to confess to feeling a bit of relief at sending them to school. I spent my uncomputer time drawing up lesson plans for Umberto. It was overwhelming and then I realized I had to do it for Camille as well. Really homeschooling is just too much for me. I am not willing to give up school or a career, and while I have no doubt many would think this selfish, I honestly believe that staying home full time would not make me happy. I think that a mother's happiness in her choices profoundly effects her children. And my kids are ready to go. If Umberto hated the thought, I may have tried to work it out but both of them are ready. Now I have only Piper and while that will be challenging as she is used to having her brother and sister always there, it will give me more time to finish this master's program.

And that's our little update. I'll keep trying to get some more stuff up. I have a whole journal with stuff for the blog.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear things are going well. Good luck house-hunting! And it really seems like the most sensible decision to send them to school so you can also accomplish your own academic goals...it's only fair!

Erica said...

Hope you find the house of your dreams, or something close to it.

We were gone for 8 weeks, and even though we were by ourselves (well the last 4 weeks my mom was there), we really missed having a place of our own. Hope you have yours very soon.

Sending you great school year vibes for you and your kids!

John B-R said...

Just want to say hi. I suspect it will ALL work out. Even if there are days it doesn't seem that way ...

The Bear Maiden said...

The kids new school sounds A LOT like Sugar and the Sun's school... and they love it. And I'm with you on the homeschool thing... I'm not ready to try it now, though I admire people who do and who can.

But Mom's gotta be happy... or nobody's happy. Not selfish, just a fact...