Wednesday, January 21, 2009

More...Mundane...But Me

I think I should use that title in a poem. But alas I don't write poetry. I keep forgetting that...I am a wanna be poet. A poet in my own mind...

My readers are owed something pretty but I don't have much time or energy for pretty right now. But I figured it would be good to let you all know periodically that I am alive. Breathing...all that stuff. I suspect that later on I will be compelled to write thanks to an independent study on sacrifice with a professor deeply interested in studying suffering. But for now some updates.

This semester promises interesting things for my brain. I am taking one class on the field of American religion with my fav. professor, the adviser. We're reading lots of interesting books including one that mentions GWAR. My second class is, as I mentioned, an independent study. There is a regular class but I am teaching during that time. We'll be reading some classic theories on sacrifice, Taylor, Frazer, and Maus but much of the class focuses on the work of Bastille whom I have never read. All in all, lots of fuel for thinking and hopefully getting me excited about the academic endeavor again.

My thesis...well the adviser loved my second chapter, said it was the best thing I had ever written, had the potential to become and article, and that if I modeled everything else I had written on this I was going to be fine. Whew. This was the chapter that really blew between the old adviser and I. I had sent her, by mistake, an unedited copy. She went nuts, said she couldn't read for all the errors etc. When I realized what had happened I sent her the edited copy, but she was still angry. It was a hard blow because I was so excited about this chapter. And I felt some vindication after the new adviser's comments. All said, I should be done by March.

In addition, I seem to have a really steallar group of students for the class I'm teaching. I just saw on the dicussion board I set up that one them actually got Foucault's theory on sex. How about that? I'm looking forward to a really good semester with them.

And drugs? Drugs you say? Well I am a fool. After a week of feeling this incredibly bitchiness edging in, I finally exploded on Monday. I've decided that some numbness is a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

6 comments:

Ros said...

You're so not a fool. You tried them, you tried life without them, you realized you're not yet ready to do life without them. It was a thoroughly scientific experiment.

Anonymous said...

Is that GWAR as in the band that used to dress up as monsters?

Bataille's a lot of fun, by the way. A lot of what he was writing seems totally insane, but it makes sense after a little thought...

Glad to hear you're alive and breathing!

Anonymous said...

If GWAR is that band, I loved them. I really did.

Nice to read a post full with good news!

The Bear Maiden said...

What Ros said. And I too, loved the Band. isn't that funny?

Unknown said...

Yup the one and same GWAR.The book is about how evangelicals use fear. I'll let you know how the chapter is:P

And yeah it was an experiment.

Ephémère said...

Donde estas, Ginger?
Abrazo