Friday, February 27, 2009

Me Glorious Me

Big news: I am done my MA thesis. My committee approve it Tuesday. Now to present (sort of like a defense but not nearly as mean), and to haggle with the graduate department over format, etc. But no more major changes. This thesis writing thing has been a hellish process but I think the end result was pretty damn good. I read an earlier version and as I was proofing through the latest edition, and the thing has come a long way. I am actually really happy with my argument and I think some of the writing is really outstanding. I blended theory with the memoir in a way that, I think, does the memoir justice. That was important to me as Debbie Palmer is still alive out there, and if by any chance she ever read my memoir, I would want her to recognize some kind of self in those pages.

Other news....my sacrifice course is getting utterly fascinating, and I find myself ever more drawn to the story of religion and violence. So far the critics have all described this violence with a kind of horror but I am hoping we get at least a few people who talk about the erotics of violence as well. Coupled with spring I am starting to stir, and my body has stories to tell. Now to carve out the time to tell these stories to you.

With three other people, I am planing a fundraiser for our school. A show basically. We're hoping to get the local art district, NODA, to donate some spaces, and then we'd run an all day and into the night festival. My friend D has already got some tentative band commitments as have I. It should be a lot of work but maybe fun work to get this off the ground. I wonder if I could get A Place To Bury Stranges to play. I could offer them food. I am a good cook. And I'm really in need of a fix:P But anyway, as I am busily planning this, I keep thinking that this would be the best job. Maybe even better than being an academic. I need to get rich.

Music fixes coming soon.
March 9, Morrissey. Again! In an even smaller club with H and D.
March 12, All the Saints whom I saw with APTBS in October. The drummer is fucking phenomenal. I wasn't even going to give them a listen until I heard those drums start. Jesus. I could so be seduced by drums.
April 29, Dinosaur Jr. right down the road from where I live. I'll be able to walk.
Ma7 28, The National.

And tentatively I want to see Mogwai, Vivian Girls, and The Pains of Being Pure at Heart. An acqutiance/friend wants me to go see Amanda Palmer (The Dresden Dolls) with her. Dont knwo about that one. There are rumors that NIN will be touring with the original members of Jane's Addiction which I will likely go see if they come near her. Fixes! Hurray!

Miss you all, and hopefully will be putting these stories onto computer, into the air, setting them free.

6 comments:

John B-R said...

Ginger, awesome accomplishment. And to think you actually like the result, too. What could be better? If you ever want to share the thing, I'd like to try to read it (why not? You have a really interesting mind ...)

Re: religion and violence ... I assume that means Rene Girard?? (among others ...)

Unknown said...

I actually just got done with a piece of Girad. I was unsatisfied with his conclusions but oh well.

And I'll certainly share the thing. I think it's like to be a bit dull though:P

John B-R said...

I usually like Girard for about 30 pp - he had one point and he made it over and over ...

As for whether or not your paper is dull, expect the good parts to be cut and mangled in bits of my work. I'll make sure no one can steal a single one of your thoughts ... (if they take what I end up with as your thoughts they'll be screwed!)

Unknown said...

I love you John:P And Yeah I'll send it out soon.

That is it about Girard. I kind of got like "umm...dude you said the same thing about five pages ago ten times." Oh well..there's a ton more reading to come this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Funny, I also read Girard a lot, and ditto on repetition....

And of course congratulations!

And those stories are, er, gripping...!

Unknown said...

I think there's more to come so be warned. H is busily critiquing them. He has some issues with the middle of the last one but never got around to telling me what it was!?

But these may end up being a very long piece...well long filled with somewhat interconnected pieces.