Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Houses

Last night, I dreamt that I was in this big house. It was a lovely house. A farm house. The kind of house that a part of me longs for. In my dream, there were people in the house who were menacing. I don't know if they human. But at some point, one of them lifted up a gun and shot me in the face. I woke up, my heart beating, scared to go back to sleep. I worried that the door was unlocked and that someone was going to break in. It took me a long time to calm down.

As I lay there waiting for sleep to come again, I realized that all of my dreams about houses end badly. I don't even pleasant dreams set in houses. I feel sad that I am unable to have a happy dream set in a place many of associate with home and family. I wonder what is about me that can only produce nightmares in this setting.

2 comments:

Jennifer Welborn said...

It's not just you. I have dreams that start out lovely in houses that are my dream houses--places I would love to call home. But they always end badly--they always turn into horrible nightmares with violent people trying to kill me. We come from somewhat similar backgrounds. I wonder what such dreams say about us. Maybe we need one of those dream books.

Unknown said...

I was thinking about my background Jennifer. It has to be a clue. A friend on FB sent me a link to a website about dreams but none of the explanations worked.