Wednesday, November 05, 2008

WE DID IT

America responded that yes we are ready for an African-American to be president. Last night, I watched and listened to Obama's acceptance speech alternately weeping and smiling. This is history unfolding before us, we are walking into the future. My sincerest hope is that this is a moment of racial healing for the United States. No, it won't happen over night but we made an important step in unification and healing of the horrible past that has plagued this countries founding. For once, we have lived up to the ideals at all humans are created equal. For the first time in a very long time I am proud to be a citizen of this country. Like most liberals, it is very easy to get caught up in the game of horrible the U.S. is, and yes, like all countries, we have our ugly side. And that side is magnified because of our size, miltary, etc. But too often it is easy to forget that it not all evil. Tonight I was reminded that Americans can make incredibel things happen. We did it.
Look at these little faces when we asked who our next president was going to be...they all yelled out "Obama!" Of course the adults spent a few hours in a state of anxious anticipation but it was fairly clear early on that Obama had this one. The kids shortly after this picture burst into what they called their "Obama" dance.
And a very sleep Umberto just awoken to hear his man had won. He got to see a bit of the speech before drifting into sleep again. I am so proud that my son gets to see this.
Yes I did disable comments. I'm apologize to the last commentor. He knows how to get in touch with me if he wants to discuss why.