Thursday, March 07, 2013

Jude Under My Skin

A new "virtual" friend commented today about new research that has shown we carry all our children's cells in our bodies, and thus those of us with children who have Down syndrome carry that extra in us as well. I went and read an article, curious as to what that might mean for those with this extra. But there was nothing at least in this article. It's such a far out concept anyway. I mean, all of my children have left behind cells inside of me. Right now. I literally will carry them in me until I die. But the thought that I have some cells with an extra chromosome? That blows me away.

Since I'm not a scientist, my mind of course runs to the poetic beauty in such a thing. This child is who is supposed to be so different left something of that difference inside of me. To me that something means a bond, a tie to her. We are after all different in a rather big genetic way but the idea that I have some of that gene makes me think about what we share.  And when I think of her condition as removing her from me somehow this new idea makes me rethink. After all Jude's presence in my body has left an imprint as real a finger print. Her cells with their third chromosome on the Trisomy 21 float about my body with it's measly two chormosome. She has left that which has made her different inside of me thus creating within me the same difference. Mind blowing stuff right there. Can I say I've never felt prouder to carry a cell?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, virtual friend. :) My mind is blown as well. I wonder if researchers have ever even considered what happens with moms who carry kids with extra. We are rare breeds, apparently!

Becca said...

What an interesting concept! Never thought about that... :-) Jude is absolutely beautiful!!

Unknown said...

It's really mind blowing. One of my smart poetic friends pushed it even further on my Facebook page,and now I have an even bigger post brewing;P But I can't wait until the see what it means for those who carry Tri 21 in some of our cells.

Thanks Becca. Meriah turned me on to your blog and it's awesome. Love it.

And thanks Jisun for pointing this to start with!

Unknown said...

I love this picture of Jude! I'm still blown away and intrigued by this. I can't wait to see your "brewing" post. ;)

Anna Schafer said...

Great job.wondering the shelf life.thanks matcha powder where to buy perth

Richard C. Lambert said...

But the thought that I have some cells with an extra chromosome? That blows me away. powder green tea perth