Monday, May 14, 2007

A Roomful of Children

"In bad weather, home was a bedlam. Children dashed in and out of the rain, to the puddles under the dismal yew-trees across the wet flagstones of the kitchen, whilst the cleaning-woman grumbled and scolded; children were swarming on the sofa, children were kicking the piano in the parlour, to make it sound like a bee-hive, children were rolling on the hearthrug, legs in air, pulling a book in two between them, children, fiendish, ubiquitous, were stealing upstairs to find out where our Ursula was, whispering at bedroom doors, hanging on the latch, calling mysteriously 'Ursula!' 'Ursula!' to the girl who had locked herself into read And it was hopeless. The locked door excited their sense of mystery, she had to open to dispel the lure. Then children hung on to her with round-eyed, excited questions"(The Rainbow, D. H. Lawrence, 247).

And so Lawrence describes my house! My house is always bedlam though, rain or no rain. The children do not have one room which is theirs. They mark their territory with toys. The tub toy storage thing is in the living room. My room boasts various plastic dinosaurs and Little People farm animals as well as numerous board books. The dining room holds not just the dining room table but all of Umberto's home school material (textbooks, craft supplies, crayons, etc). Sometimes I feel like poor Ursula--hiding out in the bathroom. Yes the bathroom. For some reason I can close the door on the bathroom without hysterical sobbing (which is what happens when I go into my bedroom). Yes, they knock and stick little fingers but at least they don't sound like they're dying.

Having two children was rough. I mean, I felt a bit overwhelmed at first. But it worked out after a few weeks. Granted, Camille was just a dream of a baby. Really sweet and mellow. Umberto was a big boy. I used to go the pool alone with them all the time! Things were in control We could take naps together. Things could be quiet. Then we just had to go with three. My dentist when I was pregnant told me "Man, three will kill you." And he was right. I was calling my mom in tears within a week. And now my house is just crazed. Loud, messy, and chaotic. I clean, and they literally follow around me sprinkling toys like seeds. Yes, three definitely sent us over the edge. Once they outnumber the adults, things go down fast. Of course we wouldn't return any of them but we would like a night out once in awhile....


7 comments:

Grouchy said...

Hey Ginger! Here are some of my favorite recent YA books:

1. An Abundance of Katherines, by John Green

2. Born Confused, by Tanuja Desai Hidier

3. 13 Little Blue Envelopes, by Maureen Johnson (ignore silly cover)

4. This is All: The Pillowbook of Cordelia Kenn, by Aidan Chambers

5. Tyrell, by Coe Booth

6. The Eyre Affair, by Jasper Fforde

7. Uglies; Pretties; and Specials, all by Scott Westerfeld

OK that's enough! :) I hope they don't overlap with your other recommendations.
Jess

Unknown said...

Thanks Jess. The one ones crossed reference were those by Schoolt Westerfeld. Why I'm reading all this YA stuff I don't know LOL. But it is good. I just finished "The Society of S" by Susan Hubbard.

Grouchy said...

You're welcome! YA is the best! :)

I haven't read "The Society of S," what's that about?

Unknown said...

Society of S is a vampire story. It's okay. There's a lot of "typical" YA content that I'm not sure works well. But it's decently written, and kept me up late:)

Unknown said...

From my friend Kristin:
Anyway, your blog post on a roomful of chilren made me
think of this Rumi poem Patti Griffin used on her most
recent album:

On children running through

I used to be shy,
You made me sing.

I used to refuse things at the table.
Now I shout for more wine.

In somber dignity,
I used to sit on my mat and pray.

Now children run through
and make faces at me.

Horacio said...

The poem's great, and so are the children.. love y'all.

Grouchy said...

"The Society of S" sounds interesting! I'll have to check it out.

What I like about current YA is how a lot of it is really getting away (if it already hasn't) from that typical YA-ish stuff. Though I don't think it should all go away :). It's such a vast genre that there's something in it for everybody. Sometimes it seems as though there is more freedom for experimentation within YA literature than adult literature.

I guess I should say "The Eyre Affair" isn't strictly YA, but I had to sneak it in there, and I am sure it is enjoyed by actual young adults somewhere!