Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Signs of the South





"A railroad is like a lie--you have to keep building to it to make it stand. A railroad is a ravenous destroyer of towns, unless those towns are put at te end of it and a sea beyond, so that you can't go further, and find another terminus. And it is shaky trusting them, even then, for there is no telling what may be done with trestle-work."Letter to the San Francisco Alta California, printed May 26, 1867.




























"I complimented this police force in a letter some time ago, and felt like a guilty, degraded wretch when I was doing it, and now I am glad I got into the Station House, because it will teach me never to so far forget all moral principle as to compliment a police force again."-Letter to San Francisco Alta California, dated May 18, 1867. Letter to San Francisco Alta California, dated May 18, 1867; published June 23, 1867

No comments: