Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Years


This is what my New Year looks like...

















This morning I spent a moment foolishly wishing for something different. I wanted to go out. I wanted to be childless so that I could go out. I couldn't remember the last time we celebrated New Year's with a crowd of people, and I felt quite deprived.


Of course my past included few truly fun New Year's moments. I had a wonderful time celebrating First Night in Boston with my friend Wil. We walked the streets of Boston, freezing with only a silver flask filled with 100 year old Scotch to keep us warm. We watched dancers in the store windows, and bands playing on the corner. We made it back to his condo to watch the fireworks at midnight from his roof. On the following night, we went to a party where I got to drink real Irish whiskey, and made out with a stranger thanks to an orange stuffed with cloves.


This year topped that...and it was wonderful unexpected. We played in the park all afternoon. We swung. We saw a hawk. We swung. We ran around playing ponies. We ate Mexican food at one of our favorite restaurants. We came home. We received an surprise IM visit from a loved friend. We drank wine. We played. The kids went insane at one point. At midnight we had a group hug and kiss. I realized at that moment that this was the most wonderful New Year's to date. I spent the whole day surrounded by love and by joy. These are the people who make my world spin now, and to spend the last day of an old year and the first seconds of a new one was a privilege and an honor.
















Happy New Year's to my dear readers. You have become part of my community this year. You have inspired me and pushed me. Thank you. May 2008 be filled with joy, love, intensity, passion, and experience.
















Love and peace.

5 comments:

Horacio said...

from my keyboard to yours too, or, wait from my side of the couch/bed/kitchen table/life to yours,
all the love,

Erica said...

Feliz Año, Ginger! To you and your family!

I've been reading your blog for a couple of weeks now, have been tempted to leave a comment several times -but haven't- but today I gotta tell you that you're truly inspiring. I'm amazed that you're homeschooling your kids, writing your thesis and keeping this amazing blog.

Lolabola* said...

B and I finally figured out the best new year is at home away from other people (and on the phone with good friends)

hopefully we'll remember that next year

Unknown said...

Hey Erica,
Please comment! I love comments;)
And I do all this because I am seriously ADHD. I can't focus on one thing at a time.

Lolabola, I'm figuring that one out too! Ya think after so many NYE I'd get it!

amy bernier said...

A joyful, prosperous New Year to a very beautiful family!