Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Resolutions Anyone?

I'm not a resolution maker. My mom, of course, called me last night to ask my resolutions, and got the usual answer: None. Then she proceeded to tell me hers. This is a ritual now. Every year she calls me and I tell her I have none but I still have to listen to hers. The real kicker is that hers are pretty much the same every year. She does this with my grandmother who also always has the same resolutions.


My thing this year is that I made my resolutions before New Year's Eve:) And I did quit smoking...and I lost 30lbs.


But this year I thought that instead of being pissy about the whole thing, I'd rethink resolutions. They tend to be about self-improvement but usually in rather physical ways: lose weight, quit smoking, etc. And of course I'm not knocking those goals. It's just that, at least in my family, these are the same goals year after year. Obviously something is not working. I thought about it and decided that I wanted to work on some bigger things. I don't want to really see some kind of concrete outcome but rather I just want to know that I worked on these things throughout the year.


Thus this year:

1.) I want to embrace the joy in my life instead of pushing it away. This is not easy for me. I have a hard time being happy, and tend to be gruff when something wonderful or joyful happens. I want to work on being able to accept those feelings.

2.) I want to work on learning to love my body. It's a good body and deserves better treatment.

2 comments:

Erica said...

I'm not a resolution maker. I don't think I've ever made any.

But if I have to make a resolution for this year, it would be to work on my dissertation. Not an easy thing to do, not only because of time constraints but also because I don't have the materials easily available, but I'm definitively going to give it a try. I HAVE to, if I want to graduate next Spring. If I don't, then I'll have to take the quals again and I don't want to go through that again.

Unknown said...

Ha! I'm not a resoloution maker either. And intially had a whole post about why I'm not LOL. But I sounded so bitchy I couldn't stand myself.

I totally should have my thesis on there but it's not. I guess I see at this chore that I have no choice in doing. ARGH.