Thursday, March 20, 2008

Return

"Why are the blinds different colors?"

The question that began my morning, spoken by a sleep tousled boy, brown and warm. I rolled over to see the sun fighting its way through the bedroom blinds.

She's back. I thought pleased. And already a stupid smile takes over.

After two days of rain and cold chill, the sun returns. It's never too cloudy here. Normally I hate this lack of gray but Spring this year...I'm smitten. I don't know why but I feel...alive and joyous. I feel that tight aching feeling inside like something is trying to burst forth from me. There's a scene in the movie "The Fountain" when the main character drinks this sap from the tree of life. It's supposed to give you immortality, and he's killed disturbing number of Mayans to get to this tree. He drinks, falls to the ground, and plants, flowers, grass start to sprout from his eyes, his mouth, his body. I feel like I'm giving birth to such a phenomena. Oh Spring...

Nothing, not a damn thing done on the thesis this week. Meet with the adviser on Monday, who suggested I might not really know my point yet (she's half right...I do know but I can't explain it yet), and described my writing as terse. I'm not sure if I should be insulted. I suspect she's right but for some reason it bothers me. I hope to finish the introduction revision by Monday, and then work on Chapter 1 for the next week.

I'm in love this week...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"terse" is good, no?

Unknown said...

I suppose unless one is a D. H. Lawerence fan:) She was actually doing that both complimentary and insulting thing. She said I was almost too clear and that I made it easy for the reader to glide over my prose without really getting my point. Thus I was in need of very clear sign posts that let the reader know what I was doing...

My very unterse wv: lgkzzix

Anonymous said...

How can you be too clear?