Monday, March 03, 2008

Transportations

I have actually been working on my thesis. I know, I know, hard to believe but I'm midway through my first chapter, and am starting to edit my introduction. So what does this have to do with transportations?

Well it's all about the music I've been listening to while writing. Lately I've just totally fallen into this band "A Place to Bury Strangers." I discovered them last year in October, I think, thanks to my friend D. But it wasn't unitl a few weeks ago that I really listened to them. They blow me away with every listen.

Today they transported me. I sat listening to them on my headphones, at the coffeshop where I write, and suddenly I had this disconcerting feeling that I wasn't there. It wasn't a mental flashback. I just suddenly realized that the music transported me back to the early 90s when I lived in Rochester. It was this intense feeling that wasn't just about remembering. It was a total disoreintation of my sense of time. I lost sense of my surroundings...all but the music. That was my anchor. When I came back, I found myself staring off into space, I'm sure looking crazed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's a pretty amazing story. you should check them out live. they're one of the most unique bands out there.

Unknown said...

I'd love to see them live but H got first option on tickets. No childcare on weeknights for us.

Anonymous said...

I've just submitted 10k+ words. I suffered them. I wish I could feel like celebrating, a weight off my shoulders, but there is something that tells me "you haven't finished, the worst is still to come..."