Thursday, June 23, 2011

Year of Pleasures 24

My mom.
Another great thing about summer is that we see my mom a lot more (she's a teacher). I'm relishing this time with her in particular because it won't be so easy once we move. But hanging with my mom is a big part of my life. When I need someone to whine and complain to, I always call her first. She's suffered through years of these calls, and seems to know when I just need to vent and when I need advice.

I have only lived really far away from my mom once in my life. And now we are moving pretty far away again (although not as far), and I'm feeling pretty sad that she will no longer be a quick drive away. Spur of the moment grillings, and visits to the pool, will be no more. We will of course see her often but it won't be so easy to call and say "Hey we're headed out to Barnes and Nobles, want to join us?" And I value those unplanned times when we just talk and laugh. Sometimes silent but comfortable.

No comments: