Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Just Who Do You Think You Are?

It's taken me a couple of weeks to repost about the thoughts, the rather rude anymous poster left....anymously of course. And while I hate to give "blog time" to such things, I do want to address some of the issues he/she raised as well explain why I erased the post.


On the mudane level...why the erasure? First because it was anonymous which I consider amazingly cowardly. It always makes we wonder how serious the commentary was. Without a name (and what are the chances I even know this person?) the post takes a tone of pettiness as if Anonymous just wants to be a jerk. Now if a name had been left I would left the post, and allowed it to become part of an interesting discussion concerning the nature of memoirs, marginalization, etc. But a good critique has to come from someone who's interest is engagement not the closed circle of name calling and hiding behind a wall. I welcome critique, and I don't mind people challenging me or asking hard questions. Like most people, it hurts when people resort to name calling but normally i can even deal with that. So if you're truly interested in conversation leave a name.


So what did questions did anonymous raise? Well a few for me. First, it the outright anger and disgust with the memoir format caught my attention. I got the impression that this really pissed off the poster. He/she accused me of being a part of narcissistic bloggers (umm...aren't blogs inherently narcissitc?), and then proceeded to call something I think meant self-indulgent (self-compassionate isn't really a word, and if it was I hope I could apply it). And for the most part I agree. I'm not sure if that particular post was particularly that way but the one about my burns was. It's the one thing I HATE about the memoir. As a style of writing, the tell all memoir is like masturbation. It takes pleasure from putting oneself under the microscope. I always feel uncomfortable when I read memoirs...uncomfortable in ways I don't' feel when reading fiction. It is as if the fiction puts some kind of distance. And I know for me as a writer, humble as that title may be for me, I feel this when I write both things. In a creative nonfiction class, I read a book called The Kiss which was about a woman who meet her father for the first time as a young woman. She ended up having an affair with him, and then wrote this book about it. One of my professors when hearing about this book said "There are some things you need to keep between your therapist and yourself." And I tend to agree. The memoir has become a psyhic dump for most writers, and we as the readers get a vicarious ride through pain and misery. How many memoirs are now written to chronicle travels, good times, or just our experiences with other people?


Second, my poster raised some interesting questions about marginalization. He/she was obviously angry at what he/she saw as me trying to put myself in a marginalized place. I want to make clear first that I never claimed that status for myself based on my accent. That discussion arose in the comments (a welcome discussion I might add). But I do see myself marginalized based on my class and my gender. But I am not a victim of that marginalization. I don't buy into the cult of victimization. I do think that recognition can lead to anger which can lead to action. Due to my own marginalization I've found ways to help those in similar position just as many people helped me to get where I am today. And yeah it's just an average graduate program on the East Coast but I am proud of what I have accomplished and grateful to the people who tried hold me down and those who held me up. I'd rather be a middle of the road professor in middle America then the prophecy of a pregnant welfare mom that many foresaw for me. (Oh and as a side note, Faulkner was acutely aware of the prejudice many Southerners faced when going North due to their accents. Check out Absalom, Absalom !).


And as a point, when one looks at Deleuze's concept of words as "order-words" the relationship between power/words becomes an interesting entanglement. He writes "The compulsory education machine does not communicate information: it imposes upon the child semiotic coordinates possessing all of the dual foundations of grammar. Language is not made to be believed but to be obeyed, and to compel obedience"(76). When we create standards, we are really I think following what language does, it orders. It reaches into the chaos and sets things straight. It creates territories. I have to think more on this because I find this aspect of Deleuze a bit unsettling, and I think there is more to this essay than I am grasping (problem with middle-of-the road in middle American I supposed). But for now this is the thought I leave my dear (and undear) readers with.


Por Ernesto who made a lovely request for more Green Tea....


13 comments:

John B-R said...

1. A friend of mine writes: I was interested in the comment and context of "revoltingly
self-compassionate" ... Going further I found a newly published article in J of Personality & Social Psychology that places "self compassion" on the pedestal even higher than self-esteem--esp when confronting the rough patches in life.

2. I love memoirs dirt and gossip. I don't think of masturbation, but if I did, I'd ask: what's wrong with masturbation?

3. Isn't all writing a "psychic dump"??

4. Everyone FEELS marginalized. I'm not saying everyone IS marginalized. But one of the glories of human existence in our time is everyone FEELS marginalized.

5. I'm not convinced by Deleuze. It's possible to surrender power as well as to manufacture it. At least I think so.

3.

Unknown said...

LOL about the masturbation...nothing wrong with it all, I just don't always want to watch someone do it:P

For 3, well that's what I'm asking I guess...this line between ficiton and non...does it even exist?

And I'm not convinced that Deleuze ends this here. My profs were all over this part but I wonder if there's more...there has to be..the guy was a Marxist!

Love ya John!

John B-R said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John B-R said...

Thanks for the love, Ginger. Backatcha.

I deleted my previous comment because when I reread it i hadn't said what I meant to say, I got too confused and it made no sense. Anyway:

I think the line between fiction and non-fiction is this: the fiction writer is writing non-fiction when s/he thinks s/he's not, and the non-fiction writer's writing fiction when s/he think's s/he's not. As for poets, god knows what we're doing!

All I know is: everyone's naked all the time in their writing.

As for Deleuze, there's a part of me that believes he didn't want us to read him TOO seriously.

Rebeka Lembo said...

I missed the anonymous comment everyone speaks about but (copying John B-R's format)

1. I personally believe all comments are narcissistic. What else but a colossal amount of love to oneself could motivate a person to speak...

if that makes any sense.

2. Anonymous comments were frequent in my blog until I openly said I tracked down the address of every single comment (which is true). Anonymous comments are not common now. But then again, regular comments are not common either. :(

3. I don't know if you use any sort of site meter or not. Most of them display referrals. You would know where the comment came from. You can also enable the "No Anonymous Comments" option. I think Blogger allows you to do that. I personally prefer HaloScan because it provides a full IP address of those who comment.

Tangentially Yours

Ernesto said...

Thank you for posting this.

Some years ago (what, maybe 3?) there was a discussion going on in several blogs, mainly on Nick Piombino's Fait Accompli and Never Neutral, about blogging and narcissism. As this very mention of it proves, I'm right there with Rebeka that all comments are narcissistic. But I would go even farther and say that all writing and all art is narcissistic in some way. (I am of course using the term loosely and as commonly used by common people and not necessarily using the strictly-Freudian terminology here, even though I know it well).

I was reading the Poetics today and I was thinking of how Aristotle uses the word "pleasurable" to describe poetry and, above all, tragedy.

Writing (including "confessional" or deliberately autobiographical writing) is pleasurable not only to the reader, but to the writer as well. Sometimes in a sadistic way. I can't imagine, say, William Styron enjoying writing Darkness Visible or Pirmo Levi writing Survival in Auschwitz. And still...

On the one hand I believe this cowardly anonymous commenters do not deserve a response; on the other hand I admire how you have made of a negative experience something positive by writing this.

I usually try to be polite and rational, but with this people who just come to our blogs to call us names and try to hurt us my patience is very limited...

A kiss from London, all the way to NC...

John B-R said...

Narcissus died because he was too in love with his own reflection. Not just in love. Too in love. I don't think it's necessarily narcissism to attempt to communicate with other members of one's species. It seems rather normal to me. Which is not to say that self-love has nothing to do with it. But what's wrong with self-love? It's too much self love that's the problem. I mean, I hope to get a response from this. I want to be part of this conversation. I want to be one among you. I don't want to be the alpha, I just want to be one among you. That seems sane and ok to me. I blog so I can be in the same place with other people. Do I love myself enough to think I have something to add to the conversation? Sometimes, yes, I think I have something to add. Sometimes I just join in because I want you to love me. My unspoken obligation is to reciprocate and to love you back. I think I am obligated to love even the anonymous nasty motherfuckers. My dad used to say if you know better you gotta do better.

Unknown said...

Well I need to spread some love to Rebeka:) I did take away the anonymous option but I have some friends who read who don't have a blog account.

As for another server, it's something to look into. I'm kind of a computer idiot though so it would have to be idiot proof like Blogger.

And narcassism. I agree with John. I'm not sure if its the right word. I think that a little self-love is vital. It's what enables us to accept love from others. And really now that my blog has become read by others, it's a lot less narcassistic for me. I mean, I now write not just for myself but so that I can reach out to all of you...so that you all can get to know me.

As John says it's about being part of a community. Would we call it narcassitic if we were all hanging at John's house, drinking wine, and chatting about ourselves? I doubt it. in way what we're doing is creating a new kind of community, a cirlce that's not really new at all...just a new way to connect.

And Ernesto, I didn't respond positively at first. I was pretty pissed and wrote a rather rude response. But John's response was so peaceful that it made me rethink. I decided to delete it and then to write something back that changed what they were trying to do.

It does annoy me. I hate that someone feels like they need to spread hate, and pettiness. And I really wonder why on earth they run around the net doing it. Personally I have better things to do.

Ernesto said...

Points taken. And of course, this randez-vous is so great because it is all about communication and sharing.

People who spread hate through anonymous comments on blogs usually lack self-esteem or are envious of other people's ability to share.

I feel like I am honest on my blog, I am a real person with a name, a last name, a face (it took me some time to post recognizable pics of me, though). But people who read me get a lot of information about who I am. And then there's anonymous people that offer no similar insight. So they are protected and I am naked.

I think writing, like friendship and love, is all about honesty and nakedness. Saying, this is who I am...

Unknown said...

I like the naked analogy. That is true. It is a way for someone to exert power, and it does emphasize our own vulnerability.

I don't use my last name..I think because I have a deep rooted fear that someone from my past will find me. Long story. But I do post pictures which is NOT easy for me at all. I am so very insecure about my looks, and it's always an act of will to put something up. But I love to see what people look like. It means something to me to see a face. It makes the relationship a lot more concrete.

When I first started to read Ernesto, H and I had to do a serach on the blog for some pictures. And then he posted that lovely picture in his About tab. That's how I see Ernesto when I read. I was so excited to get a glimpse of John R-B's face as well (even if it was due to less than idea circumstances).

But anyway, there is defintely a nakendess to writing...I guess it goes back to that conversation on Ernesto's blog...we can have the "What do you wear when you blog?" question :)

Rebeka Lembo said...

Thanks for the love and your comment, Ginger! :D I greatly appreciate it.

I could not reply in my own comments.:( Ignore what I said about HaloScan. It is very useful to track down but it is frequently down.

Andrea Catalina Cabrera said...

my sick brother used to write anonymous comments on my blog saying things like: fuck love or just really irritating things! he also used the name pablo escobar...when i found out i thought he was sick but i had a good laugh... i think a lot about this whole thing. Specially because sometimes I have this really enormous need to write about this or that person... I started to censor myself because I feel like there are some people who read my blog and they deserve respect and maybe im gonna bore them to tears with my stupid life...but what the heck... if I bore them or they think Im being narcissistic they can always click into another bog!!!! anyway I loved this discussion and i love what you write!

Unknown said...

Andrea,
That is way funny about your brother. I kept wondering if it was someone I know but they post seemed pretty pissed.

And yeah I self censor all the time! I delete more posts than I publish.

Hell I love your blog Andrea, and I agree if people don't like it they can read someone else's.