Monday, January 10, 2011

Domestic Ginger Vs. Snow Day

When I first thought up today's blog plot, I figured I could safely say that the Snow Day won hands down. After all the first big bit of my day involved mostly lounging. Last night, we moved our mattress into the living room to make the potential snow day more fun. I woke up surrounded by beasties who were sleeping and H who was messing around on his computer. I managed to get up for coffee and breakfast and then I just lounged around more. R was thrilled. There's nothing she loves more than having me down at her level. I messed around on my computer until it died (stupid Mac). Then I laid around trying to fix it. I laid around playing on H's computer, playing with R, until I decided that I should bring R outside. The next hour was spent eating a hurried lunch and getting beasties ready to go outside.

When we were ready, I looked at them and burst out laughing. H nodded and said "We look like hobos." And did we ever. We had on mismatched gloves, assorted layers of clothes, raggedy scarves. Piper had plastic shopping bags over her sneakers to keep water out. Totally bad parenting moment. I'm just so cheap and still such a Mainer (which some same is synonymous)...I can't see spending a fortune in winter clothes that the kids will only wear once or twice. We paraded our ragged arses around for about fifteen minutes before we were all freezing. Even R who likes the cold was getting pretty pissy about the wind blowing snow in her face (she actually looked cute and not homeless like the rest of us). I decided it was our "The Glass Palace" moment.

When we got upstairs, I felt like I should motivate myself to actually get on my schedule but I didn't. I laid around some more because I was tired. I sort of worked on my classes. Mostly I played games on Facebook. I did cook supper and dessert. And I watched "Percy Jackson" with Umberto. I was just about to post about what a lazy bitch I was and how I had only managed to do one week on my schedule when H realized he needed to send some stuff out.

He saved me from losing. Domestic Ginger got off her fat ass and started to clean. Mondays are designated kitchen days. I cleaned the kitchen. Did the dishes, wiped down the counters and washed the floors. It looks great. I also started some laundry. And while we didn't do school today, the kids had spent about an hour with H last night looking up Greek monsters and the myths about those monsters. After watching Percy Jackson, Umberto wanted to do more reading about Greek myths. It wasn't much but it was something.

I'm finding that if I can just push myself to get up and do it, it goes fairly quickly. But it's the initial getting up that is so hard. However, last week I did it. I mostly followed our schedule and the house got done. I didn't beat myself up about when it got done as long as it was done by the time I went to bed. And by keeping up with the bits of picking up, the house always looks decent. It's not spotless but that's okay. I don't mind if our house looks like people live in it. I just don't want it to look like people don't care about it.

I was going to change the schedule around to better reflect how slowly things get done but I decided to leave it as is. It's okay if I can't do it all but it's nice to see what needs to be done. I'm feeling more productive too and feeling more pushed to organize other things. I have plans to get all my class stuff organized and photocopied weeks in advance. I can already tell that this is going to save me a lot of stress and time once the semester starts. And so far I don't feel like we're sacrificing our spontaneous natures in the process of being more with it. So week one, I think goes to Domestic Ginger. Ding. Ding.

No comments: