Saturday, January 01, 2011

Don't Let the Door Hit You on the Way Out..

2010 was one of those years where I have to actually think if I'd label it good or bad.

Good: Rowena. Hands down the best thing of 2010. From a great pregnancy to a magical birth to a super awesome baby, she was the highlight.

Graduate School Applications. No they were not fun. Yes they were hideously expensive. But they are out and that was a big step for us. Now we have to sit back and hope that the highlight of 2011 is acceptance to a graduate school.

Umberto's Epilepsy: Not a good thing BUT we got it under control and the meds helped make big leaps in reading. Knowing what was wrong was huge.

Love: Loving with abandon pays off.  I don't think I have ever been so happy and while I do have moments of outright panic, I am learning to embrace those moments as lessons in learning to live presently.

Bad: HOME INVASION. That sort of sucked. It totally killed my baby moon. Having to move with a five week old baby is so not fun. And then it took us so long to get sorted out. Sigh.

RIPPED: This was the lovely term that CMS gave to those teachers laid off. It all panned out with H but it didn't help baby moon. I'm a bit of a worrier so I worried a lot.

Epilepsy: While  it was nice to finally know what was wrong, watching your kid have a seizure is pretty rough. I live in a constant state of paranoia. Every shake, every tremor, is noted. I suspect we drive Umberto a little insane with our worrying.

Graduate School Applications: Cause they SUCKED. Wow what a time suck. And then they are hugely expensive and there's no guarantee they'll even pay off. And major anxiety while I wait for answers. Sigh.

And then there was all this while dealing with new baby adjustment. With a five year gap between babies, it was a tad bit like starting over. And of course she's worth it but it's still hard to go from having your nights fairly full of sleep to not sleeping at all. Going from quite a bit of personal autonomy to once again having a baby attached to you 24/7,  it is a bit shocking.

I look over this and think: Okay so it wasn't that bad! There were so many truly wonderful things and memories of the past year. And there was bad but there is always bad. Maybe it's true that the bad makes the good so much sweeter. My wish is that 2011 brings us good, and strength to ride out the bad. Here's to another year filled with love, beasties and a big move into the unknown!

No comments: