Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Another Dream

I think the universe is trying to tell me something. I took a nap after swimming at the pool with the kids all morning (what is about swimming that makes you so sleepy?). It was perfect nap weather...thunderstorms rolling through with a cool breeze through the windows. I had another short story dream. This time I was this sort of omniscient narrator, and the story flowed out before me. It was actually a good story about a woman wanting to cheat on her partner with a gay man she had just meet. I'm going to try to write it out. If ends up being any good, I'll post it here.


But I think it's so strange that I keep dreaming of short stories. H says its because I really want to write a story. Perhaps. It has been a long, long time since I wrote anything besides an academic paper or a blog entry. I want to write this story out but I have to admit I'm scared. I'm so scared it will be horrible. And then I think why does that matter? I've given up on the dream of being a writer....or maybe I haven't? I don't know anymore. I know that since I was very young, six or so, I wanted to be a writer. And when I was rejected from the creative writing program at UMF I let that dream go. I wrote a bit of fictional stuff on campus, and even published one of the small pieces. But as I became stronger and stronger as an academic, I just stopped writing the creative stuff. And now I am dreaming of writing...or being a writer...


4 comments:

Grouchy said...

Go for it! It sounds like an interesting story, I'd like to read it (but no pressure of course)!

Unknown said...

LOL thanks Jess. I likely will attempt to write it.

Grouchy said...

I know what you mean about the nervousness. I am no stranger to the panic/scared feeling before writing. In fact, it is so much a part of my writing process (whether it is academic or creative writing) I just build it into my routine :)

Unknown said...

Check out the quote on this blog: http://neverneutral.wordpress.com/2007/06/14/fair-warning/

This is what I feel like when I fail!