Saturday, June 30, 2007

What Came From Mexico

A little background. The kids, well mostly Piper now, watch a lot of "The Land Before Time" DVDs. The main character is a dinosaur named Little Foot who is being raised by his grandparents. The kids love to play Little Foot and have H be the Grandpa. The other day H asked Umberto if he liked the Grandpa, and Umberto said kind of sad "I don't have a grandpa." We were horrified of course as he has two, H's dad and my dad. We showed him pictures, and remembered the time H's dad came to visit.
Then the next day the package from Mexico arrived. It mostly contained books for H but there was a brown envelope. H wasn't home but I had to see what was inside. There were two place mat's from my father-in-law's pizza place, some magnets, and best yet, pictures. Pictures of H's dad making pizzas. The kids were thrilled! Their grandpa owned a pizza place! We've told them this but I guess actually seeing the pictures was proof. Camille carried around the bottom pictures saying proudly "This is MY grandpa!" They're all excited about going to Mexico next summer so that they can see their GRANDPA make pizza.
Their grandpa is the handsome man in the background with the red apron.


1 comment:

Xopo said...

You can also tell them that their grandpa's pizza place made many of us very happy when we were their age. I grew up going to Happy's, it was my best day out! Then we moved and in my new neighborhood there were no Happy's Pizza, I remember missing it. But the best was when H and I were talking, we had just met in college, and for some reason I mentioned Happy's and he told me "my dad was the pizza man, the owner," I was so excited, it was like meeting your favorite movie star's son. Great pizza at Happy's, lucky grandchildren.