Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Generic Updates

Nothing spectacular to write about...just the humdrum of everyday life which in our house can be speculator...both in a good and bad way.

Umberto actually asked to do some school work yesterday. I was reading to them (Bobb Fett chapter book and Go Dogs Go), and Umberto asked to play on the computer. I suggested starfall.com and he agreed. He had a good time, and the girls joined him. Then we practiced writing which he really loves. He asked to start a word notebook, and for his words picked: Umberto, apple, action figures, paper, boat, toad and frog. I drew a little picture next to each word, and encouraged him to practice writing them out.

And I'm going to bribe him to read. I know bad mom but I think it will work well for him. It's not that Umberto doesn't like books. He loves books, and he loves us to read to him. He's not however so great about trying to read on his own. I know it's because he's afraid of failure. I'm the same way. But I also know that he is going to have to take risks his whole life, and this is a safe place to fall flat on your face. So I made a deal with him last night. For every book he reads, he gets a star. At the end of the summer, we'll add up all the stars and he gets a dollar for each star. I'm going to see if my mom will match us so he can get double the money. I think this will jump start him into something he already likes to do.

1 comment:

JLQ said...

Ginger, The Horn Book Magazine (about children's literature) just put up a list of recommended bilingual books with reading levels here: http://www.hbook.com/resources/books/bilingual.asp
It looks pretty interesting!