Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Scars

A friend's misfortune with the rain lead to some thoughts on scars. Scars tell stories. Or they offer the road to a story. I have never once taken, or allowed anyone to take a picture of the above scars. They're on my thighs. Second and third degree burns from when I was seven. My mother made fish chowder for my grandfather as my grandmother was away somewhere. It must have been a special occasion as she rarely had the money to buy the ingredients for the chowder. I know she saved some for us. The rest she put into a plastic bowl for my dad to drive over to my grandparents. I begged to go, and my dad actually said yes. I waited in his truck so excited while he carried out the bowl. He placed the bowl in my lap and the cover poped off. The chowder which simmered all day spilled all over my legs. I remember the pain to this day but I can not ever put into words. It was the scream that came from me which tells that story. And my dad wouldn't move as I just screamed and screamed clawing at my dad trying to get out to my mom. She came running out, and carried me into the house. She put in the tub and when she took my jeans, my skin peeled off in layers into the water. My dad kept repeating "It's not that bad" and refused to call an ambulance (because of money). My mom wrapped me in a wet sheet, and drove me twenty miles to the hosptial. I stayed for two and a half weeks, enduring the worst pain in my life.


After I refused to get skin grafts because my Pentecostal family convinved me that God would heal my burns. God didn't heal me.


My dad never visited me in the hosptial.


The nurses yelled at me for screaming too much.


My grandmother brought me green grapes and a Happy Meal for my first meal of soild foods.


My dad left our family shortly after this. He was seeing a woman who had two daughters. One of the daughters had cancer. He visisted her in the hopstial.

10 comments:

Ros said...

This brought tears to my eyes, tears for that little girl who didn't get the TLC she deserved. I feel so bad for you that you had that experience and have those memories.

Unknown said...

Ark, I hope it wasn't too self-piting. I'm playing with memoir genre as I work on my thesis, and this was one of those "neutral" voices. It's interesting to do this...

Ernesto said...

Thanks for sharing this, Ginger.

Horacio said...

How does pain register in the memory? How do we make meaning out of scarring situations/relationships? A beautiful/sad post: like a scar.

Ros said...

Not self-pitying, definitely a neutral voice, but consider my CAREER, woman -- I can't possibly read something like this without feeling for the kid who was! For me, you sounded so dispassionate about it that it probably elicited more emotion from me than it would have had YOU sounded more emotional. I know, I don't make sense.

Unknown said...

I know Rosslyn, and I realized that my own insticnt towards a neutral voice arose because it's such a painful memory.

I realized it's a very intimate story, and I hope I didn't make anyone feel uncomfortable. I consider you all friends (yes you too Ernesto!), and I figure it's mostly my friends reading this.

Horacio said...

I think Rosslyn's right, the neutral voice makes the whole thing more emotional.

Julie said...

Beautifully written, Ginger. And, like ros, tears came to my eyes. Not because you sounded self-pitying, but because the parallel of physical and emotional pain was so poignant.

And, I hope this gives you a smile, but my first thought as I looked at the picture was - "Wow! I would kill to have such thin thighs!"

I know I'm a little strange - but isn't it interesting how impactful perspective is? You look at your legs and see scars, I see beautiful, thin thighs.

Unknown said...

LOL Fat Lady. I LOVE that someone sees my thighs as small. You know I don't normally notice the scars anymore. I've carried them for what almost 20 years...and they've become a part of my body.

So the picture was kind of shocking. And I understood why I've been so hesitant to take a picture.

Ephémère said...

I was very touched and, like ros, thinking of the child in pain. Could we get back and take that chowder out of your reach. But that scar, terrible as it is, is beautiful because it is you and your story.

May seem unrelated to your scar, but I like to look at my big, thin feet, inherited from my dad, and be grateful for having them - it's me and my dad down there!

A big hug for you, Madre de tus niños