Saturday, June 23, 2007

Bodies

I Can Also Make Conjectures

I can also make conjectures.
There is in each thing an animating essence.
In plants it's a tiny nymph that exists on the outside.
In animals it's a remote inner being.
In man it's the soul that lives with him and is him.
In the gods it has the same size
And fills the same space as the body
And is the same thing as the body.
For this reason it is said that the gods never die.
For this reason the gods do not have body and soul
But just body, and they are perfect.
The body is their soul,
And they have consciousness in their divne flesh.

Fernando Pessoa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaaa, Pessoa. I love him.

Unknown said...

H introduced me to him when we first meet.

I love this idea of the gods as bodies...perfect bodies. How brilliant is that?