Friday, June 29, 2007

What did you do at Jesus Camp?

H and I finally saw Jesus Camp the other night. I normally avoid these kind of documentaries. I'm a religious studies major so you would think I'd be interested. And I am interested, it's more that I find something in them that reminds me too much of religious studies as a whole. It seems often that in our attempt at academic empathy or understand, we too often excuse or even embrace extreme religious behavior. I know that it's a reaction to colonization. I know that all too often it's been about the West imposing it's own liberal values onto other cultures and religion, etc, etc. But after I watch something like Jesus Camp, I often think (and I know this is sort of blasphemous in liberal/postcolonial circles) "But maybe not all Western liberal values are bad, and we should encourage people to accept them." That's my secret confession to you all. And flame me at will. I probably need it. But let me explain...

For those who have not heard of the film, the director follows a group of three kids to a Jesus Camp in South Dakota lead by Pentecostal "Pastor Becky." The kids are all homeschooled (one mom tells her son "Isn't it amazing how science proves nothing?"). The kids walk around giving tracts to adults (at one point this annoyingly self-righteous child walks up to a group of older African-American men and asks them "If you were to die right now where would you go?" They answer "Heaven." She pushes "Are you sure?" "Yes," they answer obviously annoyed. She leaves them and says to her friend "I think they're Muslim."), they speak in tongues, lay "slain in the spirit," dance in war makeup (not kidding). It's all pretty horrifying (minus the wonderful scene at the end where they meet Ted Haggard who preaches against homosexuality). The children are called "promise breakers," "hypocrites," and "sinners." At the end of these sermons, they stand at the front sobbing. Some confess to disbelief and that they know they'll go to hell for such a lack of faith. They are preached to about politics. At one point the adults bring out a cut out of George Bush. It is set up against the background of a huge American flag. And then the kids lay hands on the cutout and pray for Bush. They have a speaker come to them to preach against abortion. He puts red tape over several kids' mouths, I suppose to represent the fetuses? The kids parrot words that are frighteningly echo those of the adults in the movie. The adults express admiration for how extremist Muslims indoctrinated their children so young. And Pastor Becky tells a radio show host that more churches should practice indoctrination.

Now I'll be honest that my gut level reaction is repulsion and fear that these scary people are out there. And I know they're a minority but it's an 80 million person minority. I feel sick for these kids who not really being taught but indoctrinated. And I know it's not just religious extremists who indoctrinated. I have a few friends who do this with atheism and their kids. I guess it's that H and I try so hard to impose our own biases etc onto the kids. We're always clear that beliefs are ours not the whole worlds, etc. And I am not so naive as to think that our kids do think many of the same things we do but we do encourage them to not just accept what we say. It's annoying to have their constant questioning but I think in the end important towards developing free thought.

And I grew up in a Pentecostal church. I went to a Jesus Camp when I was young. And I know that first, this stuff does scare the hell out of you. I still wake up late and worry that I'm wrong and I'll burn in hell. I don't know if you ever escape that fear. Second, I also know that you get caught up in the atmosphere of these places, and you tend parrot what's going around you. You likely will go home, and be "on fire for the Lord" for a few days, maybe even weeks, but then it settles down and life returns to normal. Third, we did a lot more at Jesus Camp than just get indoctrinated. We coupled up, and snuck around night to hold hands and kiss. Fourth, people are not for the most empty vessels waiting to be filled. Imagines from the media, all too often fall upon the trope of brainwashing to explain extremest religions, and really people are often capable of thinking other thoughts. They often are not able to maintain such total extremist beliefs for long periods of time. This has all been academically documented (see David Chidester's Suicide and Salvation about Jonestown).

But still...these kids are dressing up in war makeup and calling themselves warriors for God. And that's my fifth point about Jesus Camp. As kids we reveled in that feeling of chosenness. We felt special, close to God, chosen to lead his people to heaven. There is something heady about feeling you are chosen by God. It's a powerful feeling that separates you from others. If you further this by keeping your kids out of school, going to church five days a week, and constantly repeating it, then you get kids who are going to end up believing this...wanting to believe it. They think they're persecuted, that the world is turning against them, and they are definitely apocalyptic. I read this again and again in the memoirs I just read about Mormon Fundamentalist cults. These women fall back again and again on this idea they were special, and they never fully let go of that idea.

David Byrne (of Talking Heads) has a great blog. His latest entry is about modern liberal belief coming into conflict with traditional closed of beliefs. He quotes scholar, Jonathan Haidt concerning this. It's an interesting conversation, and this man basically contends that those who live in large metropolitan areas are forced into a more individual concept of morality while those living in closed communities preserve a more traditional attitude towards purity. I have a lot of issues about this and I do need to Haidt more to make a fuller critique (which I will) but for now I think it is true that Westerners do tend to push their liberal agenda. And there are many scholars who point to this ethnocentrism (Said, Mahmood ). I get this. And I see how it's problematic. Iraq is a prime example of the messiness of this stance. But and this is a big But can this be an excuse for ignorance about others? For abuses on human bodies? For oppression both physically and emotionally? And let me be clear that it's not just Non Western (whatever the hell that might be) that perpetuates these kind of conservative abuses. There are many many groups both religious and nonreligious in the US that engage in abusive behaviors. And my major dilemma as a scholar, and as someone who is interested in religious violence is how does one approach this topic. Can we approach with an understanding that does not necessarily endorse such behavior? Is there room in religious studies as a discipline for a critique of religious practices? Is my own liberal bias preventing me from understanding other forms of agency (something Mahmood argues eloquently)?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Religion is always hard to comment on and criticise properly, I think, for the very reasons that you're expounding here. It's also to do with people's beliefs, which is an obvious statement, but those of use who tend not to follow a religion and/or not believe forget that others do actually believe and hold those beliefs dear.

What also happens is that a lot of criticism is really just a mode of self-defense - we/I/some people criticise the hell out of a religion that they've fought hard against. I've come across very many people angry at Christianity only to realise that they're just fighting their own past.

I personally find any 'extreme' religious activity quite difficult to deal with. By that I mean activity that threatens or harms other groups. But then I can't really think of any religion that really preaches tolerance - Buddhism? All religions think that they have a direct route to divinity. There are moderates in all religions though, and they are often a practical majority in that religion. Unfortunately it's a lot easier to write about extremists than quiet believers. (I remember a comedy sketch on TV years ago - a Satanist group meeting. The leader began "Everyone hears about our black masses and sacrifices, but what about the work we do in the community?").

My experiences with American christianity have not been positive. My own religious background is Anglican with bits of Catholicism, which I got taught at school, and which has stuck (if only in the back of my mind) despite my attempts to get away from it. I can deal with Catholics and the general approach to religion in England, where it is either avoided or just a part of life, mainly I think as most towns are cosmopolitan now (as compared to say thirty years ago). American christianity is a lot more Lutheran, and feels uncomfortably individualistic to me, and uncomfortable in the sense of feeling 'chosen'. I also resent the attempts to convert me, but that's just a personal experience.

I guess what I'm uncomfortable with is the use of religion to justify acts against others and uses of power. I know that's naive to say, but in many ways it would be nice if everyone could get along, and accept others' beliefs. That, however, needs a lot of effort and understanding. I was shocked by the lack of knowledge of Islam among certain American friends of mine, even though my knowledge is not deep I do have some knowledge. Then I realised there was no mosque in their town, and they didn't come into contact with Muslims. When you figure that people's contact with other beliefs can often be reduced to caricatures in the press or on TV (think of Apu on the Simpsons representing the whole of Hinduism) then it becomes easier to understand why there's a lack of understanding. And it's not hard to select material for propaganda. I spent half an hour listening to public radio in an airport in the US and heard some adverts that could easily be used to show the decline of american morals (e.g. 'Get laid Thursdays' in some bar - advertised as a place where you're guaranteed to get laid. Ladies free before 11pm). To be able to discuss religions you need to know about them, and to be able to take a critical distance. And that's hard. It's hard to discuss the fabric of your world clear-headedly.

Saying that, the documentary does look interesting. Have you come across the film about the 'hell house'? That has some similar ideas in it. Again though it does offer a fairly narrow view of things.

I think the Western liberal idea of tolerance is worth holding onto, and practicing. We need more of it anyway...

Jon

Anonymous said...

It might be worth noting that the DVD of 'Jesus Camp' is only available in Region 1, so theoretically only people in North America can watch it. Practically you can watch it elsewhere, I know, but I can't. I don't have a machine that plays Region 1 DVDs.

Unknown said...

Well there are extremes in all religions including Buddhism. And there are elements of the extremes even in the quiet religions. I'm doing my thesis on Mormon Fundamentalists, and what's interesting is that they would never be without the official LDS church. Not that the LDS church will accept that..but it's all there in the history.

And I don't know about beliefs. I think that religion is about a lot more than beliefs...it's about ritual, bodies, practices, etc. Zizek argues pretty convincely that the notion of belief as central to religion is very much an Englightenment ideal. I know from my limited study of World religions that most religions do not place particular emphasis on belief. And I believe very strongly in many things...some things that do require faith. But they don't seem to be as "untouchable" as religion.

Anyway...I have a baby hanging off me...and I'll think more about this.

That is a bummer about Jesus Camp. And telling. I havne't seen "Hellhouse" but it has been recommended.

John B-R said...

This is just one snippet from the Preamble to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child:

"Considering that the child should be fully prepared to live an individual life in society, and brought up in the spirit of the ideals proclaimed in the Charter of the United Nations, and in particular in the spirit of peace, dignity, tolerance, freedom, equality and solidarity ..."

It sounds to me as if Jesus Camp and similar setups around the world may well be violations of this charter.

There are worldwide agreed-upon standards on what is humane behaviour; this charter is just one of them. They do place limits on what's "allowable" without being western liberal impositions. Hundreds of countries have signed off on them.

Unknown said...

I think John B-R that it is a gross violation of all kinds of human rights but since when has the U.S. given a shit about that?

I have been thinking alot about what Jon said about religion, critques etc. I study religion so I know a fair bit (not everything about everything of course). And I find that I can look clearly. I admit though that episdoes of violence, manuiplation, etc send me over the edge. And I know much of my feelings come from my own past. But I think that's okay...

Mostly I wonder how religion is used to justify and perpeuate violence. How people make sense of this violence? It's just hard for me to approach this with any kind of objecitvity or even neturality.

John B-R said...

Ginger, you write: "I think John B-R that it is a gross violation of all kinds of human rights but since when has the U.S. given a shit about that?"

Yes, of course. The US has as much blood on its hands as any other country. That in itself should indicate that the notion of human rights transcends some evil western neo-colonial neo-liberal imposition.

As for your "Mostly I wonder how religion is used to justify and perpetuate violence" I'd say that religion is a tool like any other. A hammer can be used to pound a nail or to pound a head. It's just another human institution. Humans are violent animals.

Plus, humans are frightened animals. It's not necessarily a good thing to be able to see into the future.

Frightened and violent ... obvious targets for any ideology. Especially one that come wrapped in such promise.

I think a great book on this subject is *The Brothers Karamazov*.

Unknown said...

Didn't mean to sound so bitchy John B-R. I'm feeling a tad angry about the immigration bill right now.

And as for us animals...yes to some extent I can see that arguement. But I also think that we've been given the facalities to overcome these primal animal urges. I don't need to kill the neighbor who steped onto my lawn. I might feel like it but I can overcome that feeling.