Sunday, June 10, 2007

Stealing Back...





H wrote a great entry about walking downtown Matthews while I was out with the mommies drinking copious amounts of beer. We all went down around sun set yesterday to get Italian ices. It is a very interesting downtown. It is trying to preserve its sense of being a small town but it is a suburb of Charlotte. The new buildings maintain a sort of integrity to the original structures. It's a nice place to walk despite lots of traffic, and we go there often. H has been chomping at the bit to get some night pictures for his entry so we sort of hung around until it got dark.



Here's a few of my favorite shots. For more shots go here.







Sante's a little Continental restaurant in the downtown. I had a wonderful lunch there a few weeks ago. The patio is wonderful! I know the owners:)





H and the kids in a teapot. This is not outside a tea house or a cafe but a hair salon. Go figure.























A very cool ornament on the side of a building. It was the only one and I had never noticed it before. Umberto had to get his hand in the picture of course.




















I had to this last great shot I got of the gazebo with the night sky. It's not often that I wow myself with my pictures!

2 comments:

MTP said...

I love the night photos! There is something really nice about old downtowns, especially ones that are trying to keep (or get back) their character. They are so much better than strip malls and the like. My favorite old downtown is Portland's, though the closing of the public market was really sad--more people should support downtowns!

Unknown said...

Yes we like downtowns too! Portland does have one of the best but I didn't know they had closed down the public marekt:(

There are not many downtowns here in the South. I'm glad Matthews is trying to make it work.